The wonderful Nancy Koziol has nominated me for a this award. I am thrilled that a writer of Nancy’s caliber said that she enjoys what I write. I “met” Nancy last year. We were both crazy enough to sign up for two fiction writing challenges in one weekend and we were both tearing our hair apart trying to cook up something from our prompts.
We beta read each other’s drafts and Nancy, who had never written sci-fi before, cooks up a time travel story which physicists would be proud of. I’ve gotten to know her a little more after that and in addition to being a brilliant writer, she seems like a really nice person. So yes, head over to her space and check out her blog, if you haven’t already!
About Mixed Bag
Mixed Bag was born out of my need to write, but not knowing what to write about. So I wrote recipes, travel journals, parenting posts and everything else until I found fiction. I guess writing fiction was the voice I was trying to find all along. Now I write at least one fiction piece every week (Thanks to my amazing writing group – yeahwrite). Writing fiction is my escape from the real world, especially in these weird times. My 3-year old gives me ample material to write parenting posts, but she also ensures that I never have the time to actually write it. I’ll get to it someday.
Advice for New Bloggers
All nominees of the Blogger Recognition Award are asked to share two pieces of advice for new bloggers. Here are mine:
- Write. Just write. Do not let your mind get clouded by thoughts of whether the post will be liked, shared or will go viral or not. Pick a topic and write. Persist. Success will follow.
- Proofread your posts. Pretty please. Spelling and grammatical errors are never pretty.
The Blogger Recognition Award requires nominees to nominate 15 other bloggers. I don’t have fifteen, but here are some blogs that I regularly read and enjoy.
- The PhD Mama – Suchitra, my childhood pal and blogger buddy is published author and a mom of two little darlings. The PhD Mama is her space where she writes about her adventures raising multicultural children. She contributes to The Huffington Post and she has been named among the Top 100 Mommy bloggers by BabySpot, Canada. Head over to her blog to read her unique perspectives on parenting.
- Uma Chellappa – Uma and I are recent twitter buddies. Her blog UmaWrites is a little like Mixed Bag. She writes some amazing, thought-provoking non-fiction and some fiction. I always look forward to her thoughtful comments on my blog. Isn’t that what every writer needs?
- Suma Iyer – Suma is an entrepreneur who loves to crochet, knit and sew. All her wonderful creations are on her blog, with tutorials for those interested. The multi-talented Suma also writes recipes and travel posts. I highly recommend that you check her blog out. P.S. She’s also my sister!
That’s my list, folks. I know it’s a bit short, but most people that Nancy nominated are also on my reading list.
Thanks again, Nancy, for nominating me for this award. I hope we’ll beta each other’s work soon!